EdTech Inquiry

Lexi, Emma, and I rating the Otter, Ava, and Temi apps for auto-generating captions!

A few things to note regarding the actual video.

• I’m not sure why the quality is so poor, I tried fooling around in the settings to see if it would help anything, it did not. I apologize for this!
  • I tried to have auto-generated captions be available for our video, however YouTube kept asking me to select the video language. There is no option for me to do that, so alas, we have no captions on our “rating auto-generated captioning apps” video.
  • I also wanted to add timestamps to the video, but then again, there was no option for me to do so. The joys of navigating YouTube’s creator system.

I have two few examples of resources that British Columbia and SD61 have on the deaf and Hard of Hearing (H.O.H). The SD61 resource is what I would call a “poor resource”, as it gives little to no resources on how an educator, staff member, or students about possibly learning ASL or other ways of learning about the deaf or H.O.H communities in SD61.

The POPDHH resource is incredible. It is the Provincial Outreach Program: Deaf and Hard of Hearing‘s website. This program is funded by the Ministry of Education, Child Care in BC, and is hosted by the Burnaby school district. It has a resource page on it’s website, has many ideas, and is overall a plentiful resource within itself for learning about the deaf or H.O.H communities in British Columbia schools. This organization holds multiple events (one being held at Science World in Vancouver this year!) that all students and community members can attend. Their mission statement is something to look at as well, this organization is overall fantastic and worth exploring either now or in our futures in teaching!